Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I got no complaints...for a week

So if you've been reading along for a while I might be getting a bit of a reputation as someone who never has a good word to say about anything. In some ways this is why Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays in principle. I don't do thankful well and so a day set apart to be thankful works as a nice kind of Interuption of the Real, a point at which the facades we make for ourselves are torn appart and we get a glimpse of the man behind the curtain, as it were and real transformation is possible.

So, I'm a grouch...sometimes. So I decided to try and go without complaining. That's my goal anyway.

Today seems like a rough way to start the week and yet a few things seem a little more clear because I'm avoiding an action that has, in many ways, become my default.

1) Instead of dealing with a lot of my emotions I think I just gripe.

2) It's harder (just a little) to be a jerk or remain angry if you aren't verbalizing it. I'm not saying anger doesn't have it's place but it feels easier to let my emotions run the show when I feed into them.

3) Complaining seems to make it easier to put up with things were working to get at the root of the problem would be far more effective.

As I was writing this I just realized that those 3 things are pretty similar to the things that my employers have been telling me, for the last two years, about helping clients work through their own frustrations. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment